My Progress!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Back from the hospital..yes AGAIN!

I'm sure some of you were wondering what happened to me. What about the interview, my upcoming vacation, etc. Well, nix everything because I ended up in the hospital again. It was the same problem I had a few weeks ago with my stomach; most specifically, my small bowel mesentery . For whatever reason, the mesentery and vascular network is getting inflamed which causes the small bowel to thicken and hurt like you wouldn't believe; I can only compare the cramping to childbirth as the pain builds to an unbearable gut-wrenching pain, radiating throughout your stomach and back and then subsides only to recur a few moments later. I don't even remember the first two days in the hospital because I was so drugged up on pain medication.

I'm still pretty wiped out so I'm going to keep this short (the previous post was written before I got sick). I went into the hospital on Wednesday and just got out yesterday evening. They wanted to keep me through Monday, but they couldn't find anyplace to start a new IV (for some antibiotics they have me on mainly) as I kept blowing them. When this last one blew, I refused to be stuck again as they had literally tried about every vein in both forearms and were discussing putting in a picc line. At the moment, both forearms are swollen, the right more so than the left...I'm a little concerned about it actually as it is a bit inflamed and warm to the touch..I'm guessing it may be cellulitis, but I'll call the doc. I'm on two high powered antibiotics, so that should help.

They basically checked me for any and all diseases that could cause vasculitis, many of which I'd never heard of (Whipple's disease) and some I was familiar with (Lymphoma, Lupus, etc.). Every test they ran came back negative and the small bowel study just told them what they already knew from the CT scan....that the mesentery and small bowel was inflamed. The radiologist that did my small bowel study happened to have just read an article that Lisinopril (my blood pressure med)had been linked to vasculitis so they took me off lisinopril and put me on some other med.

Like last time, I began to get better in the hospital before they really started any treatment other than IV fluids. The pain started to lessen and my white count went back down before they made the decision to try antibiotics, so essentially I was improving on my own which got me thinking. I don't think it was the lisinopril because I continued to take that in the hospital last time and after I was released and I was fine. However, I remembered that I had started the birth control pill my gyno had put me on, Low-ogestrel, about a week before being hospitalized the first time. While I was in the hospital, I didn't take it because I didn't have it with me. When I got out, I had missed so many days, I just decided to wait a few weeks and start the next one when I would have had I continued with the initial pack. I started the new pack almost a week to the day before getting sick again. Both times, I finished about a week's worth of this medication before going into the hospital. I mentioned it to the doctors, but they didn't seem to think it was a likely culprit. Maybe not, but at the moment, it makes the most sense.

They wanted to do a biopsy tomorrow, but honestly, I don't know if that will give them anymore information and I was READY to go home. I figure IF I get sick again, I'll let them do the biopsy at that point. For now, I have discontinued the lisinopril and the low-ogestrel and I'm hoping for the best.

The very big downside to this is that we won't be going to Indiana to visit my family which is a huge disappointment to Tanner and myself. I'm very happy to be feeling better, but we were really looking forward to this trip. I also obviously didn't get to do the interview with Dr. Duperier which was also disappointing, but oh well...maybe some other time.


The Fat Mom said...

Wow, you have been through the ringer! Birth control pills do a number on me, and after taking 3 different ones with serious side effects I stopped taking them. I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, hopefully you will be able to get out there soon.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Hope you start feeling better soon, that doesn't sound like much fun at all. I was wondering where you went, kept checking your blog for updates...stay well so I can keep reading your posts ;)

mandatorybloghere said...

i have had this a few times, so bad rolling around on floor screaming went to emergency room although its like an act of congress around here to get checked into a hospital everything is outpatient. same diagnosis nothing even with biopsy they are always caused by stress and called flare ups. glad you are feeling better

Jennifer said...

Wow - what an ordeal. Glad you're at home and feeling better, although sorry to hear you won't be able to visit with your family. On the bright side - you and Tanner are still together and you won't be in the hospital for Thanksgiving.

Best wishes for your good health.

Anonymous said...

How awful. :( I'm sorry you couldn't go on your trip or do that interview but the most important thing is that you're okay now. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are doing okay, usually when you are absent this long, it's not good!

Anonymous said...

hoping to see a new message from you ,starting to worry if you in hospital again or what ??/

My Big Fat Super Super Obese Blog said...

sorry for worrying some of you. Just updated things :) Thanks for checking up on me, sometimes I need a little kick in the pants when it comes to blogging; especially when I'm in a funk xx

The Chubby Girl Diaries said...

I just found your blog today. It is very cute! You are such an inspiration!

I am excited to follow along in your journey! :)